Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A day in my life...crafting & living off the grid

Just thought I would write about a typical day in my life...as in today. As some of you know, I have been spinning some of Edinburghs Wool Roving into yarn. I have an Ashford Traveler spinning wheel that I have had for years. Also as most of you know, we live off the grid. We have a solar panel & a wind mill and a battery bank & an inverter, along with back up generator. Also we have a propane refrig & cook stove.
So anyhow, yesterday I got this brainstorm...spin some of that beautiful Roving into yarn...and knit a purse to wet felt & then needle felt...first I had to make a new drive cord for my spinning wheel...the one that was on it had been working for years...but a certain puppy named Herk....kind of messed that up...so I got out my cotton crochet thread...bedspread weight...4 strands...twisted with my trusty cordless drill...twisted the cords & folded in half...to make an 8 ply cord...ohhh the spinning wheel was working again!!! So I spun the wonderful Raspberry Roving into yarn...then knitted a 13 by 14 square..plus a 3 stitch round cord for a strap...so then I needed hot water & washing machine...which required getting water...from our outside storage/catchment system...bring in the water...heat on the propane stove...pour into the washing machine...with soap...and starting the generator...to run the washer...having enough water for the washer so that it would start...back for more water...heat it...pour into the washer...finally got enough water for the machine to start...keep repeating the wash cycle... ahhh it was felting well...so let the water drain out...still soapy...so I took the felted pieces to the creek, thinking it would be a great way to rinse...the creek was muddy & high from the rain in the mountains upstream...so have to figure out another way to rinse...The knitted piece is now 9 by 10...so it really has felted down, and is very thick...once I rinse it, and let it dry...for however long that takes...I can start my needle felted design...and bead work....are you tired yet? I know I am... it's o-dark 30 now here...had to get greens from the garden for dinner...beat off the stupid catapillar worms who were eating my dill...fix dinner...something is still not right with the battery bank...so genny is still running trying to charge things...tomorrow is another similar day... so I will sign off for now...saga to continue.............

No comments: